Monday, October 17, 2011

Rocks, rocks, and more rocks...

The idea was..oh, so long ago...to cut waaay down on all the flower beds around here, and bring it all together into one.  Once I started making a list of what I really wanted to keep I realized that I was ready to let a lot of things go-but not my rocks.  Yes, I said "my rocks".  I worked hard collecting these rocks, and they've been around a long time.  Over the years I've moved them here and there and everywhere, every time I started a new gardening project, and besides the attachment I have to them, rock gardening is easier than flower gardening, I'd rather keep the rocks than all those flowers!  I never thought it would take so long to bring it all together, but now.finally..after being delayed by rain and mud, injuries, and lack of stamina..this job is finished!  Oh, I still have plants to move to...somewhere, and old flower beds to rake out and plant grass seed in, and yesterday as I was throwing a bag of garbage in the garbage can I was eyeing the old kennel, thinking about ripping it down, and I suddenly remembered that there's a flower bed in the kennel..just packed full of daffodils and daylilies!  I wanted to cry...

August. The beginning. The fence is up, the bed measured out, a few border rocks in place, and a few things planted.


September. The "rubble wall", my favorite type of rock wall to build.  I forget how long it is, 27 feet I think, that's a lotta' rocks there!


October.  Rod's pointing to the last rock, the one that I called "the door".  I had to keep a space open in the border to go in and out of to work, and for a long time talked about the day I could walk out and close the door!  The last rock was the one of two that I could not move myself, I moved and placed every other rock there, I think there are a million!  Rod is getting ready to dig the last hole for me so that I can plant the last plant.  My knee was throbbing (another story) so he insisted on helping me..what a sweetie!

Following are some pictures I took today of the finished project..next spring I'll add some little garden doo-dads here and there.  You'll see I put some of my broken Campbell's pottery here and there!  I couldn't get the whole thing in one shot so I took three.  The left side, the middle, and the right side.


















 Where the rock piles were, this is what I had left so I built a little rubble wall and in the spring I'll plant weeds that attract butterflies and bees, probably some sunflowers too since the bird feeder is right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment